How to Look Better: Resting Face

Resting Face

My resting face has been a topic in my mind a good chunk of my life. Though I have now noticed that resting faces don't determine your actual emotion, they do change how people see you. I believe it is important to be aware of your resting face so that people don't make assumptions about you based on your expressions, not your actual emotions. 

Childhood 

When I was young, I didn't have a pleasing resting face. Because of that, a few of my family members were bothered that I didn't want to interact with them. Because of that, a couple of my relatives told me that I needed to fix my expression. 

Smiles 

My Mom and Grandmother told me I had a beautiful smile and that I needed to smile more. My mom told me that even if someone was having a bad day, a smile could make them feel better. I never took that to heart until last year when somebody smiled at me. The smile made me feel welcomed. Though it made my day so much better, I was disappointed because I would never seen that person again. Even then, that experience has inspired me to smile at people more. Though eye contact can be uncomfortable, it can lead to great experiences. 

Resting Faces 

There will be a day when you realize that your resting face isn't what you thought it was: cheerful and pleased. After being bothered that my brother and friends' resting faces weren't that nice, I decided to look in the mirror and examine my resting face...it wasn't the best. Because some people's resting faces make them look angry or frustrated, I avoid interacting with them them for fear of rejection. Though I have been proved wrong time and time again, I still don't want to make a bad impression on people because I look I don't want to be bothered. Recently, I have realized a way to make myself look more approachable to people in public, especially when my face doesn't match my actual emotions.

How to fix it

I have found 2 ways to look more approachable aside from just straight smiling. I made a gallery and I will put captions on each picture.
Resting Face

Resting face with raised eyebrows

I realized that simply lifting my eyebrows did wonders with my resting face. It made me look pleasant, but not overly emotional.

Simple Smile

Simple smile and raised eyebrows

SMILE!!!
A smile that I do when I see something that I like or people that I like. Try to take pictures of your resting face and your resting face with your eyebrows lifted. 





Comments

  1. This is such great information . We only have one time to make a first impression. Let’s make it count with kindness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts