Upcycling Things from a Thrift Store: Part 2

More Thrift Flips!!!

As a continuation of the last post, I wanted to share more things I thrifted over the past month. There are a lot of projects, so stay tuned. I was almost too late to post this, as it is almost August. 

Backpacks!

A couple of weeks ago, I found a cute pair of wrangler's pants as a donation. They had a couple of yellow stains on them, so I took them. They are a nice light wash of denim and they feel really new. I decided to keep them because I knew they would be a great fabric for a backpack. I had been wanting to make backpacks as of late because they are easier on my back than purses. I tend to carry a lot of things with me everywhere and I didn't want to make my stuff a burden, literally. 

Back and front of denim backpack



I used this tutorial to make a pattern and I made it. After I made that one, I used some corduroy fabric I got from an aunt to make another. Both of them turned out pretty well except for a few things. On my light blue denim one, I had to add ribbon to make longer straps for it because the pink fabric I used was too short. 
Attachments I used to make adjustable straps

Cordoury backpack with adjustable straps


I also misaligned the top hanging tab on it, so it's a little weird. The corduroy backpack has fewer mistakes due to misaligned seams. I'll need to resew over the front pocket because I didn't backstitch on one end and I need to reinforce the top tab and straps because they are the most stressed part of the backpack. I wouldn't want all of my hard work gone to waste. I had to make the top sides of the dark denim backpack more narrow for design management and misalignment issues. 
I am so happy that I put adjustable straps on them. Another technique I tried out was bias tape. It is definitely a lifesaver. Though I never want to make any, I'll gladly buy some(unless it's really expensive). I used the bias tape to seal in the inside edges so that they don't fray. 

Lace-top dress with Floral Bottom

I am so proud of this dress. I immediately wore it to church after I wore it. I love it so much! It is so pretty and it was so easy to make. I might get a sash or belt as a waist band, but I'm actually fine with how it looks now. I'd say it is a success. 

Before


After!(left: my dress; right: the dress I was copying)

Stuffed Animals

I found a cute pattern for a Terry cloth cat on this site. My mom had mentioned making stuffed animals with coffee bags that my boss had a surplus of. First, I made the cat out of an old pillow. I edited the pattern and remade it afterward because it didn't turn out the best.

left: first muzzle, right: second adapted muzzle




I also tried it with the burlap. The first one didn't turn out because I messed up the sewing instructions. An important thing to remember when sewing with burlap is that you need to seal the cut edges of the burlap(after cutting) with mod podge or glue so that it doesn't unravel.



Beanie, the coffee cat

I got 2 more fabrics to make new cats. I am going to make one for a friend and remake my sister's because she left it at camp. 

I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope it inspires you to try something new! 

Comments

Popular Posts