Asian Culture: Ice Cream Mochi

Mochi

Mochi(餅, もち) is a Japanese rice cake that is made with glutinous rice(also called sweet rice). Traditionally, it is made by steaming and pounding glutinous rice to form a dough that was either flavored or filled with bean pastes. They would also eat them with savory soups and dishes. The dough's texture kinda reminds me of fufu, but so much better. I really enjoyed making it.

Deformed Mochi


Ice Cream Mochi

With Ice Cream Mochi, instead of filling the mochi cakes with bean paste, you fill it with Ice Cream. The hardest thing about it is that the ice cream melts so quickly. The texture was just like I like it. It was slightly sweet with a nice chew to it. Thankfully, I had almost the whole process of it.
Instead of making glutenous rice and pounding it, I just bought some Mochiko sweet rice flour(not the same as white or brown rice flour). Instead of steaming the flour, water, and sugar to make the dough, I put it in the microwave for a minute with a handkerchief over the top of it. I was supposed to cover it with plastic wrap and microwave it in intervals, but we didn't have any. Surprisingly, it worked out. I used just vanilla ice cream because that was the only one we had at the time.
My brother, Timothy liked it, and so did my mom. Next time, I'm going to buy some mint chocolate or peach Ice cream.
Folding the Mochi

Pretty mochi

A big mess to clean up



Pepper Jelly Mochi


Resources and Weird Ideas 

    • I filled one with Pepper jelly and cream cheese, it tasted very weird. It was pretty to look at when I cut it in half though. 
    • I also filled one with peanut butter and a couple of chocolate chips. I liked it so much better than the pepper jelly one. 
    • My sister said it might be nice to have peanut butter and jelly mochi. I might try it one day.
    • I got all my information about mochi from Just One Cookbook, it's a really nice site for authentic Japanese food.
Photos are all mine and a few are edited(Google Photos) for a better viewing experience.

Comments

Popular Posts