Card Making Part 1: Gradient Card Covers

Card Making Part 1

Introduction

Card-making is a fun and affordable craft. My interest was sparked when I watched a couple videos about it. Thankfully, they appeared on my recommended on YouTube, since I watched art videos often. Though the way the tutorial was done, was very time consuming and unaffordable because she used die-cuts and stamps and all that stuff. I'm not saying don't use it, but not all people own those materials. Today, I will be teaching you how to make some easy watercolor cardstocks for assembling later.



Materials

The materials needed are very accessible and most people already own them.
  1. Watercolor or Mixed Media paper - Most people don't have this on hand, but I recommend you buy it. If you sign up on HobbyLobby.com(not sponsored), you can get a 40% off coupon on one product. I cut my paper to 3x3.5 inches. I use Master's Touch mixed media paper.
  2. Brushes - Any brushes will work, but for these paintings, you need a large flat brush or a round brush. I use Fine Touch.
  3. Paints - I used tube paints and pour them into some bottle caps to make paint pots. It is much cheaper. You can use Acrylics, but the embellishments don't work too well for it.
  4. Tape for holding down the painting and,
  5. Water and a towel
(Top left and bottom left) dried watercolor paints in bottle caps and a small pallet. (middle) two rounds and one flat brush. (right) 10x7in. Mixed Media paper

How to start

Before you start, make sure you have everything out. So you can take your water out and tape down your paper.

The Gradients

  1. Using a flat brush, wet the surface of your paper with clean water.

  2. Put any color paint on your brush and brush horizontally from the top to the middle of the paper. 
  3. Clean your brush and apply another paint, brushing horizontally from the bottom up and blend the two color washes together, lightly brushing into the other color. 

Embellishments

  • Salt is a nice finish to any drawing because it makes a pretty snowflake pattern. Make sure the paint is still wet when you add the salt. 
    (Left to right) Salt only, water droplets only, salt and water droplets
  • When a painting is almost dry or still wet, you can flick clean water onto the surface and it creates a larger pattern than the salt
  • Fineliners are another addition to a dry painting. You can draw florals and foliage onto the paper. Another thing you can do is use the fineliners before you paint and then paint over them. I use Sakura Pigma Microns pens because they are waterproof.
    Pigma Micron florals on salt(left) and water droplets(right)

Links

Comments

  1. Ooooh this sounds like an easy craft! I may try it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts