How I Learned: Crochet

Introduction

Crochet is "a handicraft in which yarn is made up into a patterned fabric by looping yarn with a hooked needle". It was one of the easiest crafts I've ever learned. All you need to learn is a few stitches, and you are on the way to crochet mastery. Once you get good, you can unravel all the terrible stuff that you made back when you were just starting, and create a masterpiece!

I was introduced to crochet a few months back in 2019 at a Homeschool event. We picked up supplies at Wal-mart on the way there and we watched as two ladies walked us through the art of crochet. They first taught us the slip knot. Next, we were taught how to make a chain. Most of us made really long chains for practice. I'm not sure if any of the children there continued the crochet journey, but as for me, I was fascinated by the easy craft. I borrowed a crochet book from the library and began learning stitches. I learned the crochet terminology after reading through the book a couple of times.

Family

My family was fascinated by my progress but claimed that it was too hard a skill to accomplish. Later on, I lost interest in crochet. When my mom mentioned that baby hats were needed at a hospital in Alabama, I set out to accomplish that goal. (I never donated any baby hats because I didn't make any)
When my sister's friends decided to make a crochet quilt together, Tabby's interest was sparked. She asked me to teach her how to start. She picked it up really quick.
Tabby's collection of crochet squares

How To Start

What is needed when you start is a medium-weight, light-colored cheap yarn(I got mine from Wal-mart) and a 5mm crochet hook. When I first started, I got a book from the Library and it taught me all I needed to know. The hardest thing I had to learn was keeping the tension consistent. If you are having that same problem, don't worry, you'll be able to control it in about a week or two if you practice consistently. A good thing to do once you are pretty familiar with crochet is to create all the projects in the book, it's a great thing to do when you are trying to improve. 
Medium-weight yarn and a 4.25-5mm crochet hook

Conclusion

Now, crochet is a very fun part of my life. I've been challenged to create a business on Etsy making tiny crochet cats!
Tiny Crochet Cats


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts