Fix Your Cat

My Neighbor's cats

Once we actually moved, I wondered if we were getting a cat once we got settled. I hope we do get a cat soon. Our neighbor has like 20 cats-- probably 10 cats inside and 10 outside. Most of them are bobtails, and all of them are really big, for cats. They feel and look heavy before you even pick them up, and they are so sweet. None of them are fixed, so in about 6 or so months, there will be more kittens. Most of them are still iffy about my brother and me, but one of them is sure to come over unless her owner is around, then she's gone.
There is a calico, a tortoiseshell, a brown striped, a yellow and white, a black and white, two black cats, a grey and white, and a yellow and white kitten.
All of them have names, but we only know two of them, Destiny and Emma. The others we just call them how they look like. For example, the yellow and white cat is called, "The Yellow and White Cat"; as with the black and white cat, "The Black and White Cat."

Neutering and Spaying

I don't mind them not being fixed, that's the owner's problem. I've heard that it's costly to neuter or spay a cat, but I think it is cheaper to just neuter the one cat and avoid the cost of too many kittens. If you have female and male cats, it's probably better to fix the female if money is a problem.

The importance of "fixing" your cat

(From left) Rudee, Tudee, and Henry
So, I used to check out cat books from the library and read them. It talks about the types of cats, the lifecycle of cats, and how to take care of a cat, along with other topics. I was fascinated by the fact that there are more stray cats than dogs. They say it is easier to gain dogs' trust too. The reasons that there are more stray cats is because many are feral, aka, a domesticated cat that their owner left or dumped somewhere; they mate with the cats that are already there too. 
Another factor is because those feral cats were not fixed. Most people don't care to fix their cats because, apparently, it is too expensive. I'm not really sure though. People are trying to do something about it by catching the cats and fixing them for adoption, but cats are quick to reproduce, so it's a bit futile. I don't understand why people nobody will fix their cats.
My mom always had our animals, besides our last kittens that I got from my friend. Even our dogs were fixed. Fixing your animal, as I read, makes them calmer because their reproductive organs are taken our, which blocks the need to reproduce and the fight for a mate. It makes sense to me.

Comments

Popular Posts